Deep in the rolling hills of Holmes County, OH, lies Springhill Dairy, home of the Lang family. Visible from the road are the farm’s large red barns and Guernseys, Holsteins and Ayrshires speckled throughout the pasture. The Lang family has much to be proud of after celebrating their bicentennial year in 2019.In 1819, President James Monroe deeded the land to the Lang family. Chris Lang, the current owner and operator, grew up on the farm working with his parents Tom and Karen, sister Kendra, and grandfather Wendell Lang.
The first Registered Guernseys were established in the early 1900s and over the last 200 years, the farm has been home to every breed at one point, and today the focus is on Guernseys, Holsteins and Ayrshires.
Managing multi breeds has never been much of a challenge for the farm. “The main reason we chose Guernseys, and now a few Ayrshires, to go with the Holsteins is because we want them to be able to compete in the same environment. We chose cows that are similar in size, and that utilize their feed the same [we have the same rations for all of them]. That is why these breeds have worked well for us,” said Chris.
Continue reading “International Powerhouse – Springhill Holsteins & Guernseys,” that was a feature article in our Spring 2020 issue!
The Springhill Guernsey classification has been much anticipated since the onset of summer and the results did not disappoint! 10 new Excellent cows, 9 of which are homebred & all were either 2nd or 3rd lactation!
- 2019 AA Jr. 2yrold “Joyce” EX92 @3-1
- 2019 AA Jr. 3yrold “Tayte”EX93 (94MS)
- 2019 AA Sr. 3yrold “Unique” EX92
- “Calypso”EX92 (2nd lact)
- 2019 AA Nominated Jr. 3yrold and Jazzy daughter “Jazz” EX91 (2nd lact)
- “Scarlet”( Sister to AA EX94 Suede) is now EX90(92MS)
- 2019 HM AA Jr 2yrold “Jarica” (EX90)
- Other new Excellents included daughters of Joke , Unify, Jazmin , AJ and Conny!
- 5x National Jr. Champion & 2x AA heifer “Finale” VG88
- polled Altitude x Unify “Unix” VG88(90MS) @2-4
- Jazzy Granddaughter “Double Jeopardy” VG87 @2-4