The 2012 Leading Edge Genetics On-Farm Competition once again saw animals entered from all parts of Gippsland. In it’s 3rd year the competition continues to gain momentum with this year 48 different farms entering close to 300 animals. The judge for this years competition was Mr.John Gardiner from Avonlea Holsteins at Cardinia, Victoria. The all-breeds competition features 4 different milking classes. They include two, three and four year old and over milk classes together with a sires progeny group of 3 females.
The two year old milk class (born in 2010 – 69 entries) is always considered one of the more intriguing classes as it often features the new wave of exciting new bulls coming through the system. The winner for 2012 was the Jersey entry of Paul and Lisa Mumford ( Cow Id 3808). Sired by Galaxies Celebrity from a AltaWhiskey dam. This truly balanced young cow with a phenomenal udder was a standout in her class. In 2nd place was the entry of Malcolm and Russell Wildes of Lang Lang with their Holstein entry 1012 sired by AltaIce. The 3rd placegetter was the entry of Rob and Janine Hanegraaf of Yannathan with cow 2324 sired by the well regarded Semex sire HoIgniter from a OHG Jose dam.
- P and L Mumford, Won Wron – cow id 3806 – sired by AltaGalaxies (0438) 890222
- M and R Wildes, Lang Lang – cow id 1012 – sired by AltaIce (0428) 188346
- R and J Hanegraaf, Yannathan – cow id 2324 – sired by HoIgniter (0425) 472021
- Glomar Holsteins, Sale – cow id 4305 – sired by Jackaroo
- C and J Dowel, Korumburra – cow id 5091 – sired by AltaFuturity
- B and S Cunningham, Nar Nar Goon – cow id 6099 – sired by Altajayz
- P, C and E Castles, Yinnar – cow id Dundee Victoria – sired by Dundee
- M and R Wildes, Lang Lang – cow id 1018 – sired by Jayjump
- N Bermingham, Nambrok – cow id 4833 – sired by Lucky Mike
- P and C Hanrahan, Stony Creek – cow id 3538 – sired by HoPowerplay
The three year old class (born in 2009 – 65 entries) saw a number of Jersey’s feature very strongly together with daughters of high profile Holstein bulls such as Shottle, HoLadino and HoSpirte. Coincendently it was a daughter of 2010 three year old winner that took out this years award. Sired by Shottle (cow ID 4131) from a Bolton dam the entry of Robert, Lynette and Justin Johnston (Glomar Holsteins) of Bundalaguah was the 2012 winner.
In 2nd place and was the Cederwal Spirte daughter of Lancey Farms with Carol 145. Plucked from the 1300 cow operation at Nyora, Carol 145 dam was a HoLadino cow. The 3rd placed cow was the entry of Peter and Catherine Hanrahan at Stony Creek with cow 3302 sired by AltaJayz.
- R, L and J Johnston (Glomar Holsteins), Bundalguah –cow id 4131 – sired by Shottle – (0428)871828
- G,P,C and L Lancey, Nyora –cow id Carol 145 – sired by HoSpirte – (0418) 388872
- P and C Hanrahan, Stony Creek – cow id 3302 – sired by AltaJayz – (0425) 472021
- C and J Dowel, Korumburra – cow id 4995 – sired by AltaSaber
- Dairy Cropping (Jinaldi), Jindivick – cow id 3355 – sired by AltaWhiskey
- W Lace, Yarram – cow id 1735 – sired by Resurrection
- Lievesely Park, Montgomery – cow id 821 –sired by AltaWildman
- A Wright, Bunyip – cow id 1892 –sired by Advent
- N,M,J and S Staley, Yarram – cow id 3686 – sired by HoLadino
- S and L Berryman, Won Wron – cow id 2535 – sired by HoLadino
The biggest class in the Leading Edge Genetics On-Farm Competition for 2012 was the 4 year old and over class (born 2008 or earlier). This year there was 74 entries across 45 different herds. Some amazing cows were desperatley unlucky not to feature in the Top 10 placegetters. The winner of this year four year old and over class was the entry of Krishlaye Holsteins (Ashley and Jane Harrison) from Neerena. Sired by the immortal Braedale Goldwyn, their entry of Krishlaye Goldwyn Pacific was a very youthful 5th calf cow. Superbly balanced, Pacific featured outstanding teat placement with an udder well attached above her hock. In 2nd place was entry 3498 an Informer daughter of Robert, Lynette and Justin Johnston (Glomar Holsteins). The 3rd placegetter was last year’s overall winner of Evan and Sheriden Williams with entry 5571 sired by HoLadino.
- A and J Harrison(Krishlaye Holsteins) Neerena – cow id Goldwyn Pacific – sired by Goldwyn (0407)867823
- R,L and J Johnston (Glomar Holsteins), Bundalaguah – cow id 3498 – sired by Informer (0428)871828
- E and S Williams, Yannathan – cow id 5571 – sired by HoLadino (0408) 122905
- A and J Harrison, Neerena – cow id Roy Matina – sired by Roy
- G, L and R Williams, Hallora – cow id 4146 – sired by HoLadino
- C and D Armstrong, Bona Vista –cow id 3495 – sired by Blitz
- W Lace, Yarram – cow id 1643 – sired by Resurrection
- Bundalong Holsteins, Kongwak – cow id 793 – sired by Donante
- R,L and J Johnston (Glomar Holsteins), Bundalaguah – cow id 3789 – sired by Bolton
- Goode and Potter, Poowong North – cow id 4778 – sired by AltaJayz
The group class this year had 27 different farms enter. Quality together with uniformity of the group was what the judge Mr.Gardiner was looking for. It was this consistency that saw Lancey Farms take out 1st prize with their beautiful uddered daughters of the Semex sire Cederwal Spirte. The 2nd place went to a group of 2 year old heifers sired by AltaWildman and owned by Malcolm and Russell Wildes at Yannathan. A Jersey group of AltaSaber daughters owned by Colin and Jenny Dowel from Korumburra took out the 3rd placing.
- G,P,C and L Lancey, Nyora – Spirte daughters – (0418) 388872
- M and R Wildes, Lang Lang – AltaWildman daughters – (0428) 188346
- C and J Dowel, Korumburra – AltaSaber daughters – (0427) 552236
- P and C Hanrahan, Stony Creek – CBDictator daughters
- W Lace, Yarram – Resurrection daughters
- L, D, R and A White, Leongatha Sth – Informer daughters
- C and D Armstrong, Bona Vista – Blitz daughters
- P and L Mumford, Won Wron – AltaGalaxies daughters
- P, C and E Castles, Yinnar – Terrason daughters
- R,L and J Johnston (Glomar Holsteins), Bundalaguah – Shottle daughters
Overall Champion – Leading Edge Genetics On-Farm Competition 2012
Ashley and Jane Harrison(Krishlaye Holsteins) Neerena – Krishlaye Goldwyn Pacific
Thanks to our sponsors: GA/WWS, AltaGenetics, ABS, CRV, Agri-Gene, AltaGenetics, Notman Seeds, Southern Stockfeeds, Beacon Marketing, Bass Valley Embryo Services, Dairy Livestock Services and Semex, West Gippsland Veterinary Clinic.
For further information please contact Brad Aitken (0438) 031361 email@example.com